More than Words® - The Hanen Programme for parents of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders/Social Communication Difficulties was developed by The Hanen Centre® to meet the needs of children with ASD. The programme recognizes that parents are the most important people in their child's life and that the child's every day activities are the context for learning to communicate.
The More than Words® Program is organized around four major goals:
- Improved two-way interaction
- More mature and conventional ways of communicating
- Better skills in communicating for social purposes
- An improved understanding of language
The format of the More Than Words® Program is similar to that of It Takes Two To Talk®. It includes an orientation evening, group parent training sessions and individual home visits. Parents learn how to help their children interact and communicate during activities and conversations that occur naturally throughout the day. Throughout the program, they share ideas with and receive support from other parents who are going through similar experiences. The programme isn't designed to replace other treatments for children with ASD.
Parents who have attended More Than Words® have said that the following were helpful:
· learning that there are different ways to get a message across
· getting ideas to practise at home and getting good results
· having specific, achievable goals; and
· the interaction with the other parents at group sessions – sharing experiences, successes and when things don't go as planned was most useful.
One parents summed it up by saying, "The course filled my cup with ideas of how to cope with my child - i.e. teaching her new skills, communicating and playing with her. It was very useful guidance for us both".
For more information see The Hanen website at www.hanen.org